Friday, August 27, 2010

Louisiana Creole Homes

The architect/designer who most influenced my love for homes and design is the late A Hayes Town. Schooled in the Beaux Arts, he became a legend (in his own time) for his style of Creole Cottages (with Spanish, French and Creole influences) that defines the most beautiful homes in South Louisiana. I was fortunate enough to be hired to help this couple build a home in the style of A Hays Town after their beautiful cottage was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. My translation and collaboration on this exterior has been one of my favorite projects. The use of indigenous woods like cypress was incorporated into the project along with antique brick. The porch ceilings are painted a popular pale blue gray (to help ward off insects) and blends beautifully with the entire scheme. Custom shutters and simple railing reflect the popular features Mr. Town incorporated into his homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

About Me

My photo
For the last 20 years I've helped women improve their lives by creating inviting interiors for their family, children and friends. The key is finding their inspiration and translating it into furnishings, textures, colors and finishes. My own personal influences of Italian and French styles combined with today's contemporary fabrics and upholstery have defined much of my work.